SA 8000 Certification
The SA 8000 certification is the Social Accountability System standard. It is applicable to companies of any size that wish to address the social and ethical aspects of their business. A Social Accountability System proves to customers that the company holds adequate provisions for the protection of wokers' rights. Further, it ensures ethical production of all goods manufactured by the company.
SA 8000 KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Be senior management led.
- Be focused on continuous improvement.
- Be focused on prevention rather than reaction.
- Be supportive of workers rights and workers participation.
- Be compliant with local laws/codes.
- Be proactive in promoting ethical sourcing.
- Be systematic in addressing problems-CARs Process.
BENEFITS OF SA 8000 TO MANUFACTURERS AND SUPPLIERS
- Marketing advantage: more demand and value for goods from socially.
- Responsible manufacturers/suppliers.
- Enhancement of companys productivity.
- Compliance to the laws of the land.
- Improvement of relationship with the Govt., NGOs, trade unions.
SEDEX - Supplier Ethical Data Exchange, is a not for profit membership organization. The organization is committed to promote responsible and ethical business in supply chain. The organization is based at London UK and is open to membership for companies/manufacturers/brands across globe. Sedex is a membership organization for businesses committed to continuous improvement of the ethical performance of their supply chains. As the largest collaborative platform for sharing ethical supply chain data, Sedex is an innovative and effective supply chain management solution, helping brands & companies to reduce risk, protect brand reputation and improve supply chain practices. The Tool and Standard used by SEDEX is named SMETA - Sedex Members Ethical Trade Audit. SMETA Standard focuses on four pillars. Members commit to improving their supply chain performance using SMETA Standard. These four pillars are:
- Labour Standards,
- Health & Safety,
- Environment and
- Business Integrity.