Energy is the future, and its conservation is the way of the bright future. Everyone claims the environment is important and considers it as a higher priority; some act pro-environmentally. But it is not enough to consider it as an important or act pro-environmental, for this individual must take the initiative to save energy. As a global civilization, we generate and utilize more energy than ever before, and the need for energy continues to rise. Every individual must support energy conservation by implementing an eco-friendly lifestyle. We rely on energy in practically every aspect of our existence. We want to live comfortable, productive, and pleasant lives.
On 1st March, The Government of India has implemented the innovative initiative to conserve energy under the provision of the Energy Conservative Act, 2001 - BUREAU OF ENERGY EFFICIENCY (BEE). In performing its functions under the Energy Conservation Act, BEE plays a key role in coordinating with designated customers, designated agencies, and other organizations and recognizing, identifying, and utilizing existing resources and infrastructure. The Energy Conservation Act regulates and promotes energy conservation.
What is BEE CERTIFICATE
BEE stands for Bureau of Energy Efficiency and government agency which works under the Ministry of Power. This agency develops a program that convinces everyone to use energy efficiently and increases the conservation of energy.
Another important function of BEE is to set the standards and label for marking star-rating of various appliances. When a manufacturer creates a new model and wants to get it certified, they conduct testing on it according to BEE's protocols and then apply for star certification using the results of the tests. BEE assigns a star rating to appliances based on the results of the tests.
WHY DOES A PRODUCT NEED A BEE-RATING CERTIFICATE?
BEE Raise awareness of energy efficiency and conservation and share information about it. A BEE-rating certificate is required to demonstrate a product's level of performance and electricity usage. Indicators of product efficiency and performance in terms of electricity consumption are included in the certificate.
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency's purpose is to "institutionalize" energy efficiency services, enable delivery methods across the country, and lead energy efficiency in all industries. Its primary objective is to reduce energy intensity in the economy.
BENEFITS OF CERTIFICATION BY THE BUREAU OF ENERGY EFFICIENCY
Obtaining this type of certification will provide you with the following advantages:
Standards: When it comes to energy efficiency, there are specific standards that must be followed. This type of certification would ensure that such standards are maintained as per the law's requirements.
Compliance: The producer or industry would be certain to comply with the law if they obtained this type of accreditation. Furthermore, this accreditation would guarantee that the manufacturer conforms to the Energy Act of 2001.
Reputation: This certification would secure the manufacturer's or industry's reputation for adhering to the applicable requirements.
Efficiency: This certification ensures that a certain level of efficiency is maintained by manufacturers or industries. This would ensure that the Energy Act of 2001's principles for energy efficiency is followed.
BEE standard and labelling Program
BEE has run a standard and labelling program since 2006 under the provision of the EC act. The primary goal of this programme is to inform consumers about the energy-saving and thus cost-saving potential of the relevant marketed product. The program requires energy performance labels to be displayed on high-energy end-use equipment and appliances, as well as the establishment of minimum energy performance standards. This Program includes establishing minimum energy performance standards (MEPS) for appliances and equipment, as well as rating energy performance on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 stars being the most energy-efficient.
Energy efficiency standards define energy performance benchmarks for manufactured appliances and equipment, making it illegal to sell appliances or equipment that are less efficient than the minimum specified level.
The BEE standard and Labeling programme currently covers star ratings for 29 appliances/equipment. A list of the appliances covered by Star Labeling is provided below:
PRODUCTS COVERED UNDER MANDATORY BEE LABELING
PRODUCTS COVERED UNDER VOLUNTARY BEE LABELING
Process for BEE Certification
Before filing your application, you must first identify whether you are qualified for mandatory or voluntary BEE certification. Some items are required to be registered under the mandatory product list of BEE, while others are on the voluntary product list.
STEP 1: PRODUCT TESTING
BEE Registration begins with the testing of a sample to determine the rate of energy consumption. At the time of MODEL Registration, the test report will be required. Applicant needs to send the sample(s) and technical documentation to a NABL-accredited lab for testing and receive the results.
Two types of testing are done, which are as follows:
- Performance Testing - All items covered by the BEE are subjected to performance testing. It aids in depicting the product's performance, and a star rating is assigned as a result.
- Safety Testing - The samples covered by BEE and BIS are subjected to safety testing. This test is used to determine whether the product is consumer-friendly or not.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR TESTING
The following documents are required for testing of products:
- Proof of the manufacturing unit's legal address
- Copy of Factory License in English, describing the relevant product as the scope of manufacturing and indicating the manufacturing unit's address.
- User manual with sample for testing
- A copy of the BIS license, including the expiration date and a list of all models, used
STEP 2: BRAND/COMPANY REGISTRATION
To register a BRAND with BEE, follow the procedures below:
- Documentation - The below-mentioned documents are gathered in the first step. Compile the required documentation and register the brand on the BEE site, as well as pay the security deposit amount online.
- Submit application - Once the document has been collected, the application must be submitted to the BEE Department both online and offline. Submit a hard copy of the application to BEE, along with all attachments, duly signed by the Authorized Signatory. If BEE requests clarification or additional information, provide the same.
- Scrutiny of Documents - Scrutiny of application will be done by BEE officials to ensure that documents submitted are in the specified order or not. BEE Officials will verify the documents whether all documents are submitted, properly filed or not.
- Grant of Login Credential - Once BEE Officials get satisfied with the provided document and application, they provide BEE Login Credentials by email. On approval of Brand / Company Registration, BEE will activate the link for model registration.
DOCUMENT REQUIRED FOR COMPANY/BRAND REGISTRATION
The applicant must ensure that the documents he or she submits are in the specified order. Every document submitted to BEE (whether in hard copy or online) must include the authorized signatory's signature and stamp in the original.
Documents that are not properly filed, are loose or clipped, or are just stapled will be rejected. Non-compliance with the application would be treated as a deviation from the process.
The following documents are required for brand registration:
- A cover letter in the prescribed format
- Registration Fee and Payment Receipt for the Company
- Print out the Online Company Registration Form (properly signed and stamped with company seal with all filled in details)
- Agreement between BEE & User of Label on Rs.100 Non-Judicial Stamp Paper
- Certificate of Trademarks (In the Name of the User of Label)
- SSI certificate (If Small Scale Industry and applying for the first time)
- Quality Management System Certificate (ISO 9001)
- Authorized Signatory Letter
- BIS License
Note: Before sending documents to BEE, all documents must be uploaded to the web portal with the correct validity date.
STEP 3: MODEL REGISTRATION
For model registration, the following steps are followed:
- Documentation: The below-mentioned documents are gathered in the first step. Gather all relevant data and documents and upload them on the BEE portal.
- Test report: Product testing is carried out for model registration, and it is divided into two types: performance testing and safety testing. The test reports are needed to submit for model registration.
- BEE Sample Label preparation: A single test is performed, based on which BEE Sample level is prepared. It assists the consumer in determining the product's energy-saving and cost-saving potential.
- Model Registration (Online/Offline Submission): Applicant must apply BEE both online and offline as per the model. Make an online payment to BEE for the model registration fee. Submit a hard copy of the application, along with all enclosures duly signed by the Authorized Signatory and a BEE Label Specimen, if applicable. If BEE requests clarification or additional information, provide the same.
- Scrutiny of Application: BEE officials will examine the application, test report and documents. If the document presented are not in order, not properly filed, are loose or clipped, or are just stapled will be rejected.
- Grant of Approval: BEE officials approve if they are satisfied with the application, documentation, and sample test report. When BEE is satisfied, it approves the application and gives authority to attach the label.
DOCUMENT REQUIRED FOR MODEL REGISTRATION
The following is a list of the documents that must be attached to register a model.
- Covering Letter (Format closed)
- Model Registration fee for each model
- Print out the Online Application form (properly signed and stamped with company seal)
- Print out the Mandatory Form and its Annexure form (For mandatory products only)
- Test Report (properly signed and stamped with company seal) Test
- Sample Label (Printed Waterproof Adhesive or Metallic as applicable) of each model must be stapled along with the online application form of that particular model.